Sunday, January 31, 2010

Katie-Kelsey-Kupcake-Katastrophe


photo: World's Largest Cupcake by none-other than Duff Goldman, the owner of Charm City Cakes and featured on Ace of Cakes, the Food Network show. (photo courtesy of delish.com)
This past Saturday, my roommate Katie and I ventured into the world of cupcakes sans papers for a friend's birthday party. Greased tins? yes. Successful? Not so much. After peeling away 18 cupcakes by hand to find a soft and extremely messy outer layer, we realized these could not be served. Not as cupcakes, anyway.

So, we smushed them into a casserole dish and iced the top. Oh, and distracted from the gaps by adding heart-shaped strawberries, cookie crumbles and chocolate covered coffee beans. And we called it a cake.

Lesson learned: do NOT use Crisco. For anything (at least, that's my theory.).

The chocolate icing was what was truly to-die for; recipe to be posted soon.

best wishes in your baking endeavors!

2 comments:

  1. What did you use the crisco for? I usually use Pam on the tin and they come out fine... I can pass my recipe for cupcakes on to you if you want.
    How did everyone enjoy the "cake"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake was thoroughly enjoyed. And though we were self-disclosing, I doubt people even knew the difference.

    We should have used pam! I just remembered mom always using Crisco to grease things and we had some (that rarely gets used), so I wanted to use it up.

    ReplyDelete