Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate frosting

A few weekends ago, I was helping my mom prepare for a family dinner when I offered to make the cake. She pulled out an old family recipe and set me to work, approving the amount of batter, the taste of my frosting and the done-ness of the cake. It was in that last step that things went wrong.
See, when the timer for the cake went off, I removed the pan from the oven and stuck a toothpick in it--- a toothpick that came out almost clean. Instead of trusting my instinct and sticking it back in, I asked my mom about whether she thought it was done. "Yeah, it's good," she announced after scanning the toothpick and looking at the cake on the counter.
A few hours later, however, as she started to slice and dice it, we discovered that the entire middle was mushy. Let's just consider this a lesson in not being lazy. Next time, I'll spend a few more minutes in the kitchen so that we can actually enjoy more cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment